VIEW 10AM SUNDAY SCHOOL NOTES
IF YOU LEARN TO LOVE, YOU WILL BE SURPRISED AT HOW MUCH HAPPIER YOU WILL BE.
1 Cor. 13:1-13, “Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal. And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, but have not love, it profits me nothing. Love suffers long and is kind; love does not envy; love does not parade itself, is not puffed up; does not behave rudely, does not seek its own, is not provoked, thinks no evil; does not rejoice in iniquity, but rejoices in the truth; bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. Love never fails. But whether there are prophecies, they will fail; whether there are tongues, they will cease; whether there is knowledge, it will vanish away. For we know in part and we prophesy in part. But when that which is perfect has come, then that which is in part will be done away. When I was a child, I spoke as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child; but when I became a man, I put away childish things. For now we see in a mirror, dimly, but then face to face. Now I know in part, but then I shall know just as I also am known. And now abide faith, hope, love, these three; but the greatest of these is love.” (NKJV)
- WHY IS IT IMPORTANT TO LEARN TO LOVE?
- Because God is love.
- Do you know why you have trouble overcoming lying?
- Do you know why you have trouble overcoming adultery?
- WHERE ARE WE SUPPOSED TO LEARN TO LOVE? IN OUR FAMILIES.
- In our physical families and in our spiritual families – the church.
- It is in the schoolroom of the family that we are supposed to learn to love.
- We learn to love through our relationships with people.
- When we have good relationships, we have good fellowship.
Acts 2:42, “And they continued stedfastly in the apostles’ doctrine and fellowship, and in breaking of bread, and in prayers.” (KJV)
I John 1:5-7, “This is the message God has given us to pass on to you: that God is Light and in him is no darkness at all. So if we say we are his friends but go on living in spiritual darkness and sin, we are lying. But if we are living in the light of God’s presence, just as Christ does, then we have wonderful fellowship and joy with each other, and the blood of Jesus his Son cleanses us from every sin.” (TLB)
- Real love causes you to like someone when they are unlikeable.
Matt. 5:43‑44, “Ye have heard that it hath been said, ‘Thou shalt love thy neighbour, and hate thine enemy.’ But I say unto you, ‘Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you’”; (KJV)
- Love is a choice.
III. WHY SHOULD WE LEARN TO LOVE?
- Life without love is really worthless.
1 Cor. 13:3, “If I gave everything I have to poor people, and if I were burned alive for preaching the Gospel but didn’t love others, it would be of no value whatever.” (TLB)
1 Cor. 14:1, “Let love be your greatest aim.”
- We will be evaluated at the end of our life on how we learned to love.
- THE POINT OF LIFE IS LEARNING TO LOVE ‑ GOD AND PEOPLE.
- Relationships, not achievements or the acquisition of things, are what matters most in life.
- Why do we allow our relationships to get the short end of the stick?
- Busyness is a great enemy of relationships.
- Part of learning to love our families is making time for them.
- Remember, we have two families – physical families and our spiritual families.
Life minus love equals zero.
YOUR ATTITUDE DETERMINES WHETHER YOU HAVE A GOOD LIFE OR A BAD LIFE Philippians 2:5-15
WHY IS IT SO IMPORTANT TO HAVE THE ATTITUDE OF CHRIST?
- ATTITUDE DETERMINES HOW WE SEE LIFE.
- If you have a bad attitude you see life handing you a bad deal.
- If you have a right attitude you see life treating you ok.
- ATTITUDE DETERMINES HOW WE GET ALONG WITH OTHER PEOPLE.
- A bad attitude causes us to have run-ins with family members and people we work with.
III. ATTITUDE DETERMINES, MOST OF THE TIME, THE DIFERENCE BETWEEN
SUCCESS OR FAILURE.
- OUR ATTITUDE MORE THAN ANYTHING ELSE, AFFECTS HOW A SITUATION IS
GOING TO TURN OUT.
- Remember, attitude is the inward feelings that cause outward actions.
- THE RIGHT ATTITUDE CAN TURN OUR PROBLEMS INTO BLESSINGS.
- What is the difference between an obstacle and an opportunity? Our attitude.
- Every opportunity has a difficulty and every difficulty has an opportunity.
- Life is like a grindstone. It can grind you down or polish you up.
- You need to have the attitude that I can get to the place where I like this job or this
- THE RIGHT ATTITUDE CAN CAUSE US TO DO WHAT WE NEED TO DO.
- We call that a can-do attitude.
Phil. 4:13, “I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.” (KJV)
- The difference in the two men was attitude.
- Our attitude is not automatically good because we are saved.
- What kind of attitude did Christ have?
- The attitude of doing things for the right reason.
Phil. 2:3, “Let nothing be done through selfish ambition or conceit, but in lowliness of mind let each esteem others better than himself.” (NKJV)
- He considered others more important than Himself.
Phil. 2:3, “In lowliness of mind let each esteem others better than himself.” (NKJV)
- Jesus looked out for the interest of other people.
Phil. 2:4, “Let each of you look out not only for his own interests, but also for the interests of others.” (NKJV)
- Jesus did not demand His own rights.
Phil. 2:6-7, “Who, being in the form of God, did not consider it robbery to be equal with God, but made Himself of no reputation, taking the form of a bondservant, and coming in the likeness of men.” (NKJV)
Phil. 2:6, “Who, though he was God, did not demand and cling to his rights as God.” (TLB)
- What happens when we have this “mind” (attitude)? God exalts us.
Just think what this attitude would do for our marriages, for our relationship with relatives, and for our job. Try it.
YOUR ATTITUDE DETERMINES WHETHER YOU HAVE A GOOD LIFE OR
A BAD LIFE.
Phil. 2:5, “Let this mind (attitude) be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus.”
- WHY STRIVE TO HAVE AN ATTITUDE LIKE CHRIST?
- It will lead to you having a better life.
- WHAT IS AN ATTITUDE? IT IS THE FEELING ON THE INSIDE THAT DETERMINES
HOW WE ACT ON THE OUTSIDE.
III. OUR ATTITUDE DETERMINES OUR APPROACH TO LIFE.
- Do you have the right attitude in life? Here is a test:
- Do you feel your world is treating you well?
- OUR ATTITUDE DETERMINES OUR RELATIONSHIP WITH PEOPLE.
- OUR ATTITUDE DETERMINES HOW PEOPLE ACT TOWARD US.
- Unfortunately, we make friends by many acts, but lose them with just one.
- OUR ATTITUDE IS OFTEN THE ONLY DIFFERENCE BETWEEN SUCCESS AND
VII. OUR ATTITUDE SHOULD BE TO TREAT PEOPLE LIKE WE WANT TO BE TREATED. THEY WILL THEN COME AROUND AND TREAT US THE WAY WE WANT TO BE TREATED.
ATTITUDE MAKES THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN SOMEONE WHO HAS A NERVOUS BREAKDOWN AND ONE WHO DOES NOT.