06 Jun Sunday School Notes: December 30, 2018
THE HOLY SPIRIT – OUR HELPER
John 14:16, “And I will pray the Father, and He will give you another Helper, that He may abide with you forever.” (NKJV)
John 15:26, “But when the HELPER comes, whom I shall send to you from the Father?” (NKJV)
John 16:7, “Nevertheless I tell you the truth. It is to your advantage that I go away; for if I do not go away, the Helper will not come to you; but if I depart, I will send Him to you.” (NKJV)
HOW DOES THE HOLY SPIRIT GUIDE US IN OUR EVERY DAY ROUTINE OF LIFE?
I. BY THE BIBLE
II.BY OUR CONSCIENCE
III. BY COUNSEL FROM THOSE WHO HAVE AUTHORITY OVER US
A. The Holy Spirit helps guide by parents.
Eph. 6:2-3, “Honor your father and mother. This is the first of God’s Ten Commandments that ends with a promise. And this is the promise: that if you honor your father and mother, yours will be a long life, full of blessing.” (TLB)
1. To honor parents means to obey them.
B. The Holy Spirit helps guide us by Pastors.
Heb. 13:17, “Obey your spiritual leaders and be willing to do what they say. For their work is to watch over your souls, and God will judge them on how well they do this.” (TLB)
IV. BY GIVING YOU PEACE IN YOUR HEART
Col. 3:15, “And let the peace of God RULE in your hearts.” (NKJV)
IF YOU ARE TRYING TO DECIDE IF SOMETHING IS RIGHT OR WRONG FOR YOU TO DO, ASK THESE QUESTIONS:
(1) Is it Scriptural? If not, it is wrong.
(2) Does your conscience bother you about it?
(3) Do those who have authority over you agree that it is right?
(4) Do you have the Peace of God about it?
ARE YOU LOOKING FOR THE HOLY SPIRIT TO HELP IN A SITUATION? HERE ARE SOME MORE QUESTIONS TO ASK YOURSELF TO RECOGNIZE HIS HELP:
(1) As you think about the options, do you have more peace about one than the other options you have?
(2) Do any of the options conflict with the Word of God?
(3) Do the people that God has said you should listen to have peace about your course of action?
(4) Do you have a real peace in your heart from God that it is the right thing to do at this time?
LET ME REMIND YOU THAT JESUS SAID THE HOLY SPIRIT WOULD BE OUR HELPER, NOT OUR DICTATOR.