06 Jun Sunday School Notes: January 20, 2018
THE HOLY SPIRIT
- WHY GOD COMMANDS US TO BE FILLED WITH THE HOLY SPIRIT.
- Three Reasons
- MAKES YOUR LIFE ATTRACT UNBELIEVERS TO JESUS CHRIST
- MAKES YOUR LIFE USABLE IN THE BODY OF CHRIST-THE CHURCH.
- MAKES YOUR LIFE PROTECTED FROM THE DESTRUCTIVE FORCES OF SIN.
- HOW CAN YOU TELL IF A PERSON IS FILLED WITH THE SPIRIT?
- You can tell if you are filled with the Holy Spirit by the way you walk and talk.
Gal. 5:16, “I say then: Walk in the Spirit, and you shall not fulfill the lust of the flesh.” (NKJV)
Gal. 5:19-21, “Now the works of the flesh are evident, which are: adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lewdness, idolatry, sorcery, hatred, contentions, jealousies, outbursts of wrath, selfish ambitions, dissensions, heresies, envy, murders, drunkenness, revelries, and the like; of which I tell you beforehand, just as I also told you in time past, that those who practice such things will not inherit the kingdom of God.” (NKJV)
- If you are filled with the Spirit, walking in the Spirit, you will have the fruit of the
Gal. 5:22-23, “But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self‑control.” (NKJV)
- The fruit of the Spirit is:
- Love– for those who are hard to love.
- Joy– in the midst of painful circumstances.
- Peace– when things don’t work out like you thought
- Patience– when things aren’t going your way
- Kindness– toward those who do not treat you kindly
6. Goodness — toward those who have not been good to you
- Faithfulness– in serving the Lord.
- Gentleness– toward those who have handled you roughly
- Self-control– in the midst of intense temptation.
III. GOD COMMANDS US TO BE FILLED WITH THE HOLY SPIRIT SO OUR LIVES WILL ATTRACT UNBELIEVERS TO JESUS CHRIST.
Matt. 5:14-16, “Ye are the light of the world. A city that is set on an hill cannot be hid. Neither do men light a candle, and put it under a bushel, but on a candlestick; and it giveth light unto all that are in the house. Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven.” (KJV)
- A life characterized by the fruit of the Spirit cannot help being noticed; it stands
out like a light.
- WE ARE COMMANDED TO BE FILLED WITH THE HOLY SPIRIT TO MAKE OUR LIVES USABLE IN THE BODY OF CHRIST, THE CHURCH.
Col. 1:24, “I now rejoice in my sufferings for you, and fill up in my flesh what is lacking in the afflictions of Christ, for the sake of His body, which is the church” (NKJV)
- When we are filled with the Spirit we are a better WITNESS FOR CHRIST.
- Being filled with the spirit makes you a team player in the Body of Christ, the
- WE ARE COMMANDED TO BE FILLED WITH THE HOLY SPIRIT BECAUSE IT HELPS OUR LIVES TO BE PROTECTED FROM THE DESTRUCTIVE FORCES OF SIN.
DON’T WAIT UNTIL YOU HAVE PROBLEMS TO BEGIN WALKING IN THE SPIRIT; BEING FILLED WITH THE SPIRIT. DO IT BEFORE AND AVOID MANY PROBLEMS.