30 May Sunday School Notes: January 6, 2019
DOES GOD HELP US TO KNOW WHAT TO DO BY SPEAKING TO US TODAY?
YES, HE DOES.
- HOW DOES GOD SPEAK TO US TODAY?
- First and foremost by His Word – The Bible.
- Second, by the Holy Spirit that is within us.
- HOW DOES THE HOLY SPIRIT SPEAK TO US AND HELP US TODAY?
- He guides and helps us in several ways.
- By our reading the Bible
2 Peter 1:20, “For no prophecy recorded in Scripture was ever thought up by the prophet himself. It was the Holy Spirit within these godly men who gave them true messages from God.”
- By bringing Scripture to our mind to help us with what we are dealing
John 14:26, “But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in My name, He will teach you all things, and bring to your remembrance all things that I said to you.” (NKJV)
- By listening to the preaching and teaching of God=s Word
- By speaking to us through our conscience
- By counsel from those who have authority over us
Heb. 13:17, “Obey your spiritual leaders and be willing to do what they say. For their work is to watch over your souls, and God will judge them on how well they do this.” (TLB)
- By giving us peace in our heart
- By wisdom
Eph. 5:15-18, “See then that ye walk circumspectly, not as fools, but as wise, redeeming the time, because the days are evil. Wherefore be ye not unwise but understanding what the will of the Lord is. And be not drunk with wine, wherein is excess; but be filled with the Spirit”; (KJV)
III. IF YOU WANT TO HEAR THE VOICE OF THE HOLY SPIRIT, ASK, “WHAT IS THE
WISE THING FOR ME TO DO?”
- The Holy Spirit leads and directs according to what is wise and unwise.
- How do we give the Holy Spirit an opportunity to guide us with wisdom?
- By asking Him what is the wise thing to do
- Three questions we need to ask to make wise decisions:
- What is the wise thing to do in light of my past experience?
- What is the wise thing to do in light of my present situation?
- What is the wise thing to do in light of my future plans and dreams?
- Probably, the Holy Spirit has been trying to guide you a lot more than you realized. Maybe
you have been listening. Maybe you haven’t.
LET’S PUT IT ALL TOGETHER. HOW TO BE WISE. ASK:
- Is it scriptural?
- Do the circumstances permit it?
- Do you want to do it with all of your heart?
- Does your conscience feel good about it?
- Is it the wise thing for you to do?